Expert Witness Credentials
Experience and Qualifications
- Have been designated as an expert witness more than 76 times on legal matters involving Marketing, Advertising, Business, Competition, Deceptive Practices, Trademark, Lanham and Robinson-Patman Act violations.
- Expert witness in marketing, business practices, unfair competition, “custom and practice,” trademarks, patent infringements, contracts, deceptive/unfair/false advertising, breach of contract, misrepresentation, endorsement, licensing, contracts and others.
- Litigation support, approximately 51% plaintiff and 49% defendant cases.
- Previous designated Expert Witness services: California, Washington, Texas, New York, Nevada, Florida, South Carolina, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Missouri, Utah, Kansas, along with the American Arbitration Association (AAA) and JAMS (Judicial Arbitration and Mediation Services).
- Also provided pre-litigation analysis on pending litigations, both sides, including work for state attorney general (California).
- Expert Witness Marketing & Advertising Problem Solver
- Forensic Consultant and Expert Witness in Marketing, Advertising, Business and Media.
- Deposition tested
- Senior Marketing Professional
- Marketing and Advertising Expert
- Senior Marketing and Advertising Adjunct Professor/Senior Lecturer/Presenter
I have served as a consultant and/or expert witness for: California Department of Justice; State of Washington, Office of Attorney General; State of California, State Attorney General; Alameda County District Attorney; Monterey County District Attorney; Santa Cruz County District Attorney; Office of the San Diego City Attorney; Office of Los Angeles City Attorney; Alameda Corridor-East Construction Authority on behalf of the San Gabriel Valley Council of Governments; California Alcoholic Beverage Control Board.
For over 40 years, I have been a strategic marketing, advertising and media professional. I have worked within companies (DIRECTV, The Music Center of LA/Performing Arts Center of Los Angeles, Disney, Security Pacific Bank) and within advertising agencies. I have also worked as a client, with several advertising agencies, media buying services, marketing research organizations, design companies, direct marketing/mail and other marketing firms reporting to me.
I have received California State University Ambassadors’ “Polished Apple Awards” (2006 and 2008) for teaching, mentoring and inspiring students on campus, the USC Parents’ Association Outstanding Teaching and Mentoring Award (2006) and have received the Outstanding Citizen Award (1993) from the Los Angeles City Council. I have been a member of the Advertising Club of Los Angeles since 1975, and an active member of the board of directors. The club’s largest membership groups are clients, media, production, creative and advertising agency executives.
The Ad Club, along with two other associations, developed into thinkLA in 2006. Since 1975, I have also been a member, board member and executive board member (Treasurer, Secretary) of AD RELIEF, previously Advertising Industry Emergency Fund (AIEF), a volunteer organization made up of advertising executives brought together to help their colleagues in times of a life crisis. AD RELIEF has granted more than two million dollars in emergency money to individuals in the greater Los Angeles advertising and promotions community.
Created and own the copyright for the Marketing concept, the Nine P’s/9 P’s ©2007 of Marketing.
For past 40 years, have taught many subjects including Marketing Management, Strategic Marketing, Business Strategies Development, Execution and Implementation, Business Strategies for Entertainment and Communication Companies, Advertising, Promotion, Integrated Marketing (IMC) and others in the graduate and undergraduate programs at the following schools and/or departments: University of Southern California (includes Marshall School of Business, USC Annenberg School for Communication and Journalism), Pepperdine University, Advertising Center, Northrup University, California State University, Northridge (CSUN), and Loyola Marymount University.
My classes are:
- MBFE 658: Strategic Marketing
- COMM 541: Integrated Media and Communication Strategies
- COMM 542: Business Strategies for Entertainment and Communication Companies
- MKT 100: Conceptual Foundations of American Enterprise
- JOUR 340: Introduction to Advertising
- COMM 599: Global Communications
- MRKT 304: Marketing Management
- MKT (Marketing) 440: Integrated Marketing Communications
- MBAM 659 and 660: Business Strategies Development, Execution and Implementation (The final, capstone classes in the MBA program at Pepperdine University)
Frequent guest lecturer in Marketing, Consumer Behavior, Advertising, Business Strategies and Global Marketing & Media: UCLA, Graduate School of Television, Film and Digital Media, “Trends in Television and Emergence of Multiplatform Media,” UCLA School of Law; Southwestern School of Law, Orange Coast College, Cerritos College, Pepperdine University in the Seaver College of Communication, and in USC Marshall » Lloyd Greif Center for Entrepreneurial Studies program, and Marshall School of Business.
Have conducted Marketing and Business Strategies Classes/Seminars/Workshops/Webinars in USA, China, Hong Kong, Cuba and on the web, including:
- “Is A Super Bowl Spot Worth $168,333 A Second? An Analysis of the Eight Components of Promotion and the 9P’s of Marketing,” presentation at Pepperdine’s Seaver College, Business Administration, Communication Division, the Capstone Advertising and Advertising Media/Integrated Marketing Communication classes, February 2018
- PVPAL Election Presentation, “Meet the Candidates: It’s About Interest, Transparency, Security, Safety and Financial Responsibility.” October 2017
- “Bring it on: Nine P’s of Marketing; Finding and Landing a Job plus Good Ads and Bad Ads” Presentation at Pepperdine’s Seaver College, Business Administration, Communication Division, the Advertising and Advertising Media class, September 2017
- “Update, Manage and Promote Your Expert Witness Practice for Maximum Impact,” FEWA (Forensic Expert Witness Association) Panel and Educational Training, April 2017
- “Evaluating Super Bowl LI Advertising, Spots and Promotion: Good and Bad Spots. The Challenges, With the Nine P’s of Marketing.” Presentation at Pepperdine’s Seaver College, Business Administration, Communication Division, the Advertising and Advertising Media classes, February 2017
- “Understanding Marketing’s Nine P’s. Branding. Promotion’s Eight Elements. Advertising. With Global Examples” presentation at Pepperdine’s Seaver College, Business Administration, October, 2016
- USC’s “Inspire. Network. Connect.” Alumni Leadership Conference and Workshop, as featured speaker and panelist with “Demystifying Communications” presentation, September, 2016
- “Super Bowl 2016. The Best and Worst Ads. With 9P’s of Marketing. What Worked and “It’s Only Creative If It Sells.” Pepperdine’s College of Business and their IMC class, plus Cerritos College’s Television Production class, 2016
- “Your eVitamins: Educate, Encourage. Engage, Energize, With the Nine P’s of Marketing,” Pepperdine’s College of Business, 2015
- “For Experts or Potential Experts: Marketing is Bigger Than Just Advertising, With the Nine P’s of Marketing” at FEWA (Forensic Expert Witness Association) Annual Conference, Courses and Symposium, Expert Witness Marketing & Business Development Summit, April 2015
- “Courting, Cross Selling and Cross Promoting: Pumping up the Pipeline in the Expert Witness Community” at FEWA (Forensic Expert Witness Association) meeting and panel, November 2014
- “Confusion between Marketing & Advertising: What is Marketing? Advertising? Use of Media and Social Media. Plenty of Examples” UCLA’s graduate class, Television & New Media: Business and Legal Issues, 2014
- Presenter of “Practical Business Insights into Marketing. It’s more than just Advertising. Really, with the Nine P’s of Marketing” at the Westchester Rotary, October 2014
- “What You Don’t Know About Marketing & Advertising Can Burn You,” sponsored by the Business Law Society at Southwestern School of Law, 2014
- USC Gould School of Law Alumni Association Speaker Series “Confusion between Marketing & Advertising: What difference does it make to Judges and Lawyers?” Approved State Bar of California, Continuing Legal Education (CLE) credit, April, 2014
- “Planning. Nine P’s of Marketing. Research. Good Ads, Bad Ads, Creativity & Sales.” Pepperdine’s College of Business and their IMC class, January, 2014
- “What Clients Expect or What Clients Should Expect From Their Agencies and Partners,” 2013
- “Effective Targeting with the Nine P’s for a Great 2014,” for Growth Consultants & Leading Grow Wise Forums/STAR Business Consulting, Inc., Top Line Revenue Group, 2013
- “Getting an Interview. Landing a Job. Practical, Insightful, Timely Advice and Counsel,” for American Marketing Association (AMA), CSUN chapter, 2013
- “What is Marketing? What is Advertising? What is Promotion? What is Sales Promotion? With the Nine P’s of Marketing & More,” for UCLA School of Law, 2013
- American Marketing Association (AMA) chapter presentation: “Marketing, Branding, Promotion, Advertising, Push & Pull, Integrated Communication & Global Examples,” 2012.
- “Cuba: Insights, Keys and Observations in its Marketing and Advertising” 2012
- “Best Global Marketing Tips, Techniques & Tactics for Marketing Executives in 2011.” USC and Pepperdine, 2011
- “Global Marketing & Advertising, including Planning, Tips, Tactics and Best Practices,” 2011
- “Understanding Branding, Blending Push & Pull Strategies, with Integrated and Global Communication Examples,” 2011 and 2010
- “Understanding Branding, Blending Push & Pull Strategies, with Integrated and Global Communication Examples.” USC, Pepperdine and CSUN, 2011, 2010 and 2009
- “Effective & Efficient Marketing, Strategies & Promotions,” California Small Business Success Conferences, May 2007
- “Power Marketing & Advertising: Planning, Developing and Executing Global Strategies,” in Shanghai, China, 2004
- “Five Business Books that Made a Difference,” Ad Club of Los Angeles Development Roundtable, sponsored by Smart Money, 1997.
- Program Presenter, Public Relations Society of America (PRSA) “Successful Strategies, Programs and Events for Non-Profits in the 90’s.” July 1990
- Non-Profits in the 90’s PIRATES (Public Service Directors) Presenter: “Where the Community Meets the Media: There’s Always Been a Part of Public Service in My Blood.” June 1990
There are a variety of resources on which I can call to help you or your firm in the market or in the courtroom.
- Marketing (Strategic & Tactical Planning)
- Advertising Agency Alliances
- Collateral Materials and Sales Promotion
- Direct Market Analysis, Identification, Targeting
- Entertainment Marketing
- Non-Profits / Public Service
- Intellectual Property
- Products & Services
- Marketing Research
- Branding and Advertising
- Communication & Media, including Internet
- Direct Marketing and Direct Mail
- Events & Trade Shows
- Integrated Marketing Communications (IMC)
- Marketing & Business Development
- Served as an expert witness in Marketing, Business and Advertising; have provided litigation support in both state and federal courts, as well as in the American Arbitration Association and JAMS (Judicial Arbitration and Mediation Services).